Preventative dentistry is the practice of caring for your teeth and gums so that they will continue to look and perform like they should for years to come. The core principle of preventative dentistry is the early detection of problems. At Studio Dental of River Park, we leverage technology such as advanced 3D digital x-rays, HD intra-oral cameras, CariVu Laser cameras, in order to detect problems that are occurring at the earliest stage possible. In doing so, we are able to treat the problems when they are relatively minor. This translates into less chair time, less out of pocket expenses, less pain, and most important of all, a much healthier mouth. By finding and treating problems at an early stage, we are able to prevent further damage and breakdown.
How Preventative Dentistry Benefits You
A good preventative dentistry program will help you reduce your likelihood for developing these dental problems later on:
- Gingivitis (inflamed gums)
- Cavities and tooth decay
- Enamel loss
- Periodontal disease (bone loss)
In addition to saving money by not needing more complex restorative dentistry procedures, patients who practice good preventative dentistry habits also lower their risk of developing secondary medical conditions like:
- Heart disease
- Respiratory disease
The mouth can be a breeding ground for harmful bacteria, and is the largest gateway into the body. With preventative dentistry, you can ensure that your mouth is as healthy as possible, and thus, your overall health.
Good Preventative Dentistry Practices
A good preventative dentistry program starts at home, where a proper oral hygiene practices are in place. Here are some at home oral hygiene practices that we teach our patients at Studio Dental of River Park:
- Brush and floss daily
- According to the American Dental Association (ADA), the most important thing you can do is to thoroughly brush your teeth 2 to 3 times a day, and to floss every evening. The toothbrush should be replaced every 3 months, before the bristles on the brush begin to fray. Frayed toothbrush bristles are not only ineffective at cleaning your teeth, but they can also cause damage since frayed bristles are very sharp, and thus, can scratch your teeth and gums. And, don’t forget use a stainless steel tongue scraper/cleaner, as this will help remove harmful bacteria from your mouth and freshen your breath!
- Eat a balanced diet
- Eating healthy foods, low in sugar, helps to protect your teeth since sugar is a significant risk factor for cavities. Limit sugar intake, and drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- See your dentist at least every 6 months
- Both Adults and children should see their dentist for checkups and cleanings every 6 months to ensure a lifetime of happier, healthier smiles
- Frequent and regular visits to the dentist will help in detecting any problems at the earliest stage possible, which is the best preventative measure that you can take in protecting and caring for your oral health
At Studio Dental of River Park, we understand the importance of establishing good preventative dentistry habits that will last a lifetime. That’s why we provide preventative dental education and care for patients of all ages in our Richmond, TX, office. To schedule an appointment today, please call Studio Dental of River Park at: 281-560-3001!