Kids’ Exams & Cleanings | Frenectomies | Fillings | Crowns | Cavity Prevention | Dental Education | Habit Prevention
Pediatric Dentist in Richmond
A healthy smile starts from a young age
Home > Pediatric Dentist
Most kids don’t like going to the dentist because from their point of view, a visit to the dentist is a strange and frightening place – they are going to lay down in an unfamiliar room, surrounded by unfamiliar noises and objects. Here at Studio Dental of River Park, we recognize the fear that children have, which is why our office was designed with a “kid friendly” atmosphere:
- We have a dedicated kids play area with iPads for them to relax before their appointment
- Built-in toy vending machines in the kids play area that accepts only special “tooth tokens” for good behavior and for positive reinforcement
- Fresh blankets to keep them feeling snuggly and safe
- TVs in the ceiling to keep them entertained
- Noise-cancelling headphones to keep the strange noises out
- Laughing gas to help relieve their anxiety
- Open and bright office design that resembles a studio – not a claustrophobic and stuffy dental office
Along with the amenities that are here to help your child feel as confident and safe as possible, all of our staff are highly trained in working with children to help ease them through their appointments. The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) recommends that a child’s initial dental exam and cleaning be before their first birthday. Throughout dental school at New York University, Dr. Tien Dang at Studio Dental of River Park has undergone special training to work with children. As part of a mission to help the underserved areas out and around the five boroughs of New York, Dr. Tien Dang was part of the “Smiling Faces, Going Places” mobile dental van, that traveled throughout New York and surrounding areas, providing urgent dental care and checkups to children of all ages to about 1500 kids annually.
Our Pediatric Dentistry Services
At Studio Dental of River Park, we offer a comprehensive dental care program for children of all ages. Some of the services that we offer your children are:
- First dental home visit, where they are acquainted with visiting the dentist for the very first time. This visit allows them to become confident and wanting to come back to our office!
- Comprehensive exams to ensure that your child’s oral health is as healthy as can be
- Pain-free dental cleanings
- White composite fillings for any cavities
- Dental sealants to help protect their delicate teeth from decay
- Fluoride varnishes to strengthen their teeth and prevent tooth decay
- Fun oral hygiene education, with our pet dinosaur, Rex, that has a full set of teeth! Kids love to practice brushing techniques on Rex, where they will go home and continue this great habit
Join Our Cavity-Free Club!
Children of all ages love encouragement and positive feedback, and that’s why we started our Cavity-Free Club! As your child returns every 6 months for their recare appointments, we’ll reward their good oral hygiene and cavity-prevention habits. The sooner a child starts taking ownership of their tooth and gum care, the greater the likelihood that their smile will be healthier and beautiful as they grow into adulthood.
Early Dental Care Tips for Parents
Parents should start brushing their child’s teeth right after the first one appears. As subsequent teeth emerge through the gums, parents should check them every two weeks for signs of discoloration. Here are some other early dental care tips that we share with new parents:
- Brush 3 to 4X daily
- Until they can do it themselves, make sure to brush your child’s teeth after every big meal and at bedtime. When brushing a young child’s teeth, use a soft-bristled brush and pea-sized dab of toothpaste
- We recommend Tom’s of Maine children’s fluoride-free toothpaste for toddlers (children ages 1-3). And for children that are 2 and up, we recommend Tom’s of Maine Children’s toothpaste with fluoride. We recommend this particular brand because it is made from all natural ingredients, and is safe in case they accidentally ingest
- Floss too
- As soon as your child has two teeth that are touching, you can start flossing their teeth. Flossing removes the gingivitis-causing food deposits that get caught between the tooth base and gumline that toothbrushing alone cannot reach
- Tooth sealants
- Sometimes it’s hard to brush and floss your little one’s back molars. Sealants are one of our favorite proactive and painless procedures that helps to keep kids cavity free for years. When applied, sealants last for years and are very effective at protecting hard-to-reach tooth surfaces. Many scientific studies have shown that sealants have helped to remarkably reduce the occurence of cavities in children of all ages.
- Twice-yearly dental visits
- The AAPD recommends pediatric dental exams and cleanings every 6 months to ensure a happier, healthier smile for your child.
At Studio Dental of River Park, It is always our goal to make your child’s visit as friendly, fun, and relaxing as possible. We cannot wait to work together with you and your children to ensure a lifetime of healthy and beautiful smiles! To schedule an appointment for your child, please call Studio Dental of River Park in Richmond, TX, today at: 281-560-3001!