Crowns and bridges are one of the most popular treatment options for people who are looking to restore, enhance, or protect their smiles. A crown completely covers a single tooth all around, providing it with protection and esthetics from all sides. A bridge is similar to a crown, in that it covers the entire tooth, but in addition, the dental bridge also spans over an area with missing teeth to provide new teeth – thus “bridging” the empty space. Dental crowns and bridges can artistically improve the shape, alignment or appearance of your teeth. Properly taken care of, dental crowns and bridges will last for many years.
Dental Crowns & Bridges in Richmond, TX
Am I a Candidate for a Dental Crown?
If you have one or more of the following conditions, you may be a candidate for dental crowns or bridge:
- Weak or cracked/chipped teeth
- A large filling that is deteriorating
- Discolored or poorly shaped teeth
- A tooth that has been root canal treated
- Have an implant but no crown
At Studio Dental of River Park, only lead-free and BPA-free crown materials are used. Esthetic zirconia and porcelain crowns are our top choice for our patients since they do not contain any heavy metals such as lead that can harm the body. In addition to being safe for your health, zirconia and porcelain are amongst the most durable and life-like materials available. We work closely with our partner labs right here in Houston, and in Miami, to produce the most esthetic and durable crowns available on the market.
What to Expect
If you’re a candidate for a crown and bridge, the following is the typical treatment process:
- The teeth that are planned for crowns or bridges are first prepared by removing a very thin layer – approximately 1.5 mm all around – to have enough space for the crown or bridge to fit over the teeth.
- Once the teeth are prepared, dental impressions of the teeth will be taken to create an exact mold for the crown or bridge.
- A shade is taken either using a shade guide or a digital color sensor that is capable of perfectly matching any tooth shade.
- A temporary crown is made that will give you a good idea of how your actual crown will look. This temporary crown is worn for approximately two weeks while your actual crown is being fabricated by our partner dental labs.
- Using the impression of the prepared teeth, our dental lab will make your crown or bridge.
- When the permanent crown or bridge is ready, you will then schedule an appointment to come into the office to have the temporary crown or bridge removed, and have the custom lab-made crown or bridge inserted.
- The crown or bridge is permanently cemented over your prepared tooth or teeth. Once in place, your new crown and bridge should feel and look just like natural teeth.
Caring for Crowns and Bridges
Although today’s crowns and bridges are designed to last a lifetime, they can come loose or even fall out without the proper care. The best way to take care of your new crown and bridge is by practicing good daily oral hygiene. In addition, here are some other care tips that our hygienists recommend:
- Avoid chewing ice, popcorn kernels, and other hard foods or hard objects
- Brush with a fluoride toothpaste twice daily, and floss every evening
- See your dentist every 6 months for check-ups and professional teeth cleanings to ensure that your crowns, bridges, and all of your other teeth are maintained in peak condition
At Studio Dental of River Park, all of our cosmetic dentistry procedures, including the use of crowns and bridges, are designed to enhance, transform and beautify your already healthy smile. If you live in the Richmond, TX, area and would like to schedule a smile assessment appointment with Dr. Tien Dang, please call Studio Dental of River Park today at: 281-560-3001!